Picture the World Project: Representing Brazil!

26 Oct
Watching the sunset behind the "Morro Dois Irmãos" (Two Brothers)

Four months have gone since we left Brazil…

A short stop for a well-deserved home-leave with family, and, now, we’ve been at our newest post/assignment for almost 3 months… Memories for our departure from Brazil? Many, but this post summarizes it. Four months ago, this photo was chosen to represent Brazil, and its unique landscape. Here is the original post, and my appreciation to the country gifting us with such beautiful memories!

**********************

What an honor! Great gift for our departing family – we leave Brazil with our heart filled with emotions and wonderful memories. The best way to celebrate our departure is knowing we’ve contributed to a fantastic project: one of our travel photographs will be part of the Picture the World Project.

The Departure Board website has a great initiative to create a gallery of wonderful photos, one from each country in the world.  I am so honored to be nominated to offer a photo from my collection to represent Brazil. What to choose from? I went with nature – one of the most beautiful beaches my ´Brazilian eyes´ have ever seen! 😮 The picture chosen for the website is the one presented earlier – a unique orange-toned sunset, overlooking the warm waters of the Atlantic Ocean…

Just like the Atlantis, the Fernando de Noronha archipelago has caught the imagination of travelers for centuries and many urban myths are associated with this gloriously surreal island. With its powdery beaches, lush rolling greens and crystalline azure waters, Fernando de Noronha is a tropical paradise of sublime beauty that is steeped deep in mysticism and mystery. The archipelago – named after a 16th-century Portuguese nobleman who may never have actually set foot there – exists in the proud Brazilian imagination, as well as a beautiful group of a main island and several islets. The archipelago of Fernando de Noronha, with its 20-something volcanic rock islands, pictured here. Made up of one 11-square-mile chunk of volcanic rock and 20 smaller islands, three degrees south of the equator, 220 miles from Brazil’s north-eastern coast, Fernando de Noronha’s claim to fame is its diverse and rich ecosystem. Here’s another reminder of the archipelago’s beauty, now during the early morning hours:

It’s my duty to nominate two people to submit photos of another country.  I would like to nominate Heather, from  The Wandering Drays, who has moved with her family to Egypt. I would also like to nominate Carla, from Carla Runs the World, currently in the Philippines, and getting ready for their next move in January 2014, to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil!

Thank you so much, Catbirdinoman – “a nomad, a pilgrim, a vagabond, a wanderer… who’ve discovered the art of living and working abroad, and now is hopelessly addicted”, as she likes to describe herself –  for the nomination! 😮

Posted by on October 26, 2012 in photography, TRAVEL

Tags: , , , ,

19 responses to “Picture the World Project: Representing Brazil!

October 25, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I thought of you last evening when Recife was on a tv program.

October 25, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Oh, thank you! We miss it deeply.. left great friends there… But I’m also glad we’re at a nice and pleasant place, right now… making new friends and new memories… Thanks for stopping by, Gilly! 😮

2. Carla Runs the World

July 1, 2012 at 11:30 am

Your comment went to my spam and I just saw it now! Last week was a tough week and I haven’t caught up with my blogging (or reading blogs), but hoping to get back to it in a couple of days. I’ll post something this week! (Hopefully it’s not too late?)

July 2, 2012 at 11:21 pm

No problem, Carla! We all go thru crazy times… Look at me, typing from a hotel room in DC, while kids are asleep! 😮 and, it’s definitely not late at all! glad you’ll join the project!

3. tincantraveler

June 24, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Breathtaking! I can feel the breeze!

4. eof737

June 24, 2012 at 4:11 am

Best wishes on your move…

June 24, 2012 at 6:58 am

Thank you very much! 😮 And thanks for stopping by and checking the blogpost!

5. Gilly Gee

June 23, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Ah yes what an awesome choice of photos, well done 🙂

6. Madhu

June 23, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Great choice! Your Fernando de Norohna posts were so captivating! Wish you good luck in your new home.

June 23, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Thank you, thank you! I couldn’t be happier! 😮 so happy to be representing my country of birth! And the archipelago of Fernando de Noronha is simply unique when it comes to it beauty! 😮

7. catbirdinoman

June 23, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Beautiful picture for the challenge!! I love both of them, but your choice is marvelous!! I’m so happy you did it. Good luck on your move!!

June 23, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Thank you so very much! Thanks again for the nomination, and I’m really honored to be part of the Project! 😮

8. Scholar Mel

June 23, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Reblogged this on 1 Million Reblogs.