Spicy shrimp casserole with curry and coconut milk

29 Jan

Sunday is the best excuse for a great family lunch! Easy, quick, colorful and delicious!

Where hot sauce and curry meet... heaven!

I just started playing with the ingredients, trying different variations of the shrimp casserole, or Brazilian moqueca – a very popular dish among the members of our household, and responding to the husband’s request, here it is, “step-by-step”, or better saying, “image-by-image”… 😮

First, get all the fresh ingredients together (or as fresh as possible, but hey, nothing against a convenient bottle of garlic powder!). The shrimp needs to be peeled and cooked. After being cooked, it could be stored in the freezer, if needed. I was able to get a some organic vegetables (tomatoes, bell peppers, onions), as well, and they looked beautiful!

Starting with some heat… curry & hot sauce:

Can you see the heat in action? look at the color of these bad boys!

Adding a very important ingredient to the marinating mix: beer!

Simmering all the ingredients.. allowing for all the flavors to rejoice!

...don't forget to add a bit more "liquid" to the mixture...

Bringing in another surprising ingredient: coconut milk – very popular member of the traditional Brazilian cuisine!

How should it look? Pretty much like this! 😮

Now, a quick look over the side dishes:

While you were working your magic with the shrimp casserole, rice was being cooked! It's simple like that!

Rice is done!

quick, easy, fluffy! like gradma's homecooking!

Another side order: organic veggies make a great and tasty salad!

Husband’s plate: [accompanied by his ‘favorite’ cold drink!]

Two of my most demanding [and happy] customers! Happy Sunday!

Tags: , ,

23 responses to “Spicy shrimp casserole with curry and coconut milk

1. Rischmöller Real Estate

January 31, 2012 at 10:49 am

Yum! You are making me want to give up on my great Peruvian food! Dare I say, I look forward to seeing more of you Sunday creations even though I will be drooling and scratching at the computer screen? haha

January 31, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Glad to hear that! I hope I can have the time to share a new creation here… every Sunday! 😮 Let´s see how it goes! Thanks for commenting! And, you don´t need to give up on your delicious peruvian food! You may have them both! 😮

• Rischmöller Real Estate

January 31, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I can’t complain with that! The diet starts tomorrow, right? haha

January 31, 2012 at 5:04 pm

just funny…

2. rose

January 30, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Thanks for visiting my blog. I clicked on this post to check yours out and oh my…that looks delicious and the kids are adorable. Thanks for sharing 🙂

January 31, 2012 at 3:42 am

Thank you, Rose, for taking the time to come over and share your thoughts! i’m glad we’re all able to share our experiences over here. It’s great to have the ability to build good network, and share our passions with others! Warm greetings from Recife, Brazil! 😮

3. Pat Bean

January 30, 2012 at 5:47 pm

You make me hungry.

January 30, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Thank you, Pat… will take as a compliment!!! 😮 Glad you appreciated it! I’ll keep sharing recipes from my “experimental tropical” cuisine… Give some ingredients, and I’ll work some magic out of them! 😮

4. The World for a Country

January 30, 2012 at 5:37 pm

This looks fabulous! Thanks for the step-by-step instructions: I”m going to give it a try!

January 30, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I’m so glad you liked it! Let me know if you need any assistance/help going over the steps!!! Simple, quick, and kid-friendly! 😮 Thanks for stopping by, checking it out and leaving such a nice comment! Greetings from Recife, Brazil! 😮

5. Sony Fugaban

January 30, 2012 at 2:25 am

Seeing your kids enjoying the food makes me more crazy salivating for the food. Hmmm … Sumptuous recipe there. Please send me a bowl of it here in the Philippines. 🙂

January 30, 2012 at 4:54 am

I wish I could! 😮 But I’m really glad you liked it! Hey, you’ve got amazing food in the Philippines, what are you talking about?? 😮 I should be the one envying you!! Thanks very much for taking the time to come by and leave your usual nice comments! Much appreciated…

6. Sunshine

January 30, 2012 at 12:02 am

So, the basic ingredients are curry powder, assorted veges, shrimp, beer and coconut milk? Just checking because it looks delish and I would love to try this! Thanks!

January 30, 2012 at 4:50 am

You’re right… marinate the shrimp & veggies with curry, a bit of beer… simmer… add the coconut milk… easy as 1-2-3! Thanks for liking it! 😮

• Sunshine

February 1, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I’m going to try cooking it right now! Thanks!

February 1, 2012 at 9:51 pm

I hope you really like it! Cheers! 😮

7. Rois

January 29, 2012 at 9:20 am

I love shrimps! In all kind of food! 🙂

January 29, 2012 at 10:15 am

totally agree! Thanks for stopping by! 😮

8. Gilly Gee

January 29, 2012 at 4:49 am

This looks delicious, I think the coconut would be lovely and beer? well I can’t imagine it with shrimp but it obviously works. Happy families!

January 29, 2012 at 10:14 am

Gilly, thanks for checking it out! It does work, pretty well, actually… 😮

9. jakesprinter

January 29, 2012 at 1:39 am

I want to tell you I`m dying with this kind of Recipe
    Shrimp with curry I smell it here Oh! my
    Thanks for posting my friend 🙂

January 29, 2012 at 2:49 am