Photo Project: 52 Bolivian Sundays [week 3, 'Beyond']

19 Jan

IMG_5569With at least a post a week for 2013, which I’m calling “52 Bolivian Sundays”, I keep moving forward with the plan to share my [photo] impressions about our surroundings, the culture we’re currently calling ‘ours’, the place we’ll call home for the next year and a half…

IMG_5570Today, for the third Sunday of 2013, I’m sharing one of photo I snapped during a recent visit to a local Art Exhibit in town. The photo responds to the weekly photo challenge, “Beyond“, trying to answer to: “Do you have a photo which invites the viewer to look beyond?”

Leading the readers through the story in the photo. What do YOU SEE BEYOND the picture? :o

This is s very powerful picture, an oil painting, part of this months current Art Exhibit at the Museo de Arte Contemporaneo ‘Plaza’, in La Paz [more images from my visit to the museum to come later this week, after we return from our family escape to the Lake Titicaca!].

The image has many possible meanings/interpretations, although I believe there’s not doubt about its powerful impact/reaction… The picture portraits the image of a kid, maybe in despair? And, at the same time you find yourself looking at the helpless face of this boy, you discover the image is being ‘ripped off’ from its reality, which brings us to the questions:

‘Is it all real?‘Is all the pain portrait here, simply an illusion?’ Is the image a symbol of a lost childhood?’

What about you? What are you seeing beyond the painted image? ♥

Original posts from Photo Project:

About these ads

Tags: , , , ,

67 responses to “Photo Project: 52 Bolivian Sundays [week 3, 'Beyond']

1. Beauty Along the Road

February 23, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Truly a very disturbing image – the suffering of the child, the hooks of poverty and abuse. This child is burning from the inside out, about to crack under the heat and pain. I am thinking about the millions of street children, I am thinking about malnourished children, kids born into poverty, slavery, the sex trade. I am thinking about how we have abused the planet so much that our children will suffer the dire consequences. This image says so much about our world today and it’s heart breaking.

February 24, 2013 at 9:36 am

I agree…. no intention to have a disturbing image out, just sharing the artist’s perspective about the world… Thank you very much for taking the time to stop and share your comments/interpretation about the image – much appreciated!

2. eldy

January 26, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Wow, what a powerful, disturbing yet irresistible work of art. From my perspective it is face of despair, a representation of the powerlessness that many children have always faced in society.

January 26, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Thank you, Eldy, for taking the time to stop by and share your comments… Interesting interpretation you’ve got for the image… ‘disturbing, yet irresistible work of art…’ thanks for sharing your thoughts!

• eldy

January 27, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Yes, it’s like watching the news of 911…you know it will be horrible to witness but you can’t stop yourself from looking.

3. SnappyJaye

January 24, 2013 at 11:46 pm

I agree this is a powerful, and tragically moving image. I see pain and sadness, but also pleading: as in, “please, don’t let this continue.”

January 25, 2013 at 8:59 am

Absolutely… it’s more a plead than it is a statement… Thanks, SnappyJaye for taking the time to stop by and share your comments – much appreicated! :o

4. terjeviggen

January 24, 2013 at 5:56 pm

the children of the world is crying. please take care of the future!

January 24, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Interesting take… thank you for stopping by and commenting – much appreciated! :o

5. rowena

January 24, 2013 at 8:51 am

Thanks for visiting my blog this week! That’s a disturbing image; that peeling away of the skin is unpleasant. I’m afraid, though, that I find it somewhat manipulative .

January 24, 2013 at 9:02 am

Thanks, Rowena! I do appreciate all the feedback, and I like to know what others think about the image, what’s ‘beyond’ the painting… the author’s original idea, his probable feelings while working on it, and the message he was trying to get out through his work. Thank you for taking the time to come over and share your comments!

6. JesstheMess

January 24, 2013 at 5:37 am

This horrendous image portrays so vividly the utter brokeness of this world in which we live. What is beyond this picture (or the artists work)? A world full of pain, hunger, abuse, sorrow, mourning… That one can even depict such an image tells of the reality of the suffering. Where is the hope? Is there hope? Whilst not seen in this image I believe we can only face and see this kind of brokeness when we know one who was utterly broken on our behalf. His brokeness makes a way for all (including the least of these, the little children) who will trust him to have a hope. This hope, is the hope he secured in his suffering.
    As he faced death and overcame it, he made a way for all who follow him to face death and overcome, because this life is not the end. He is preparing a place for these where they will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain… For the oppressor he will bring just judgement. I am horrified at all this picture depicts of this world, but pray that more would know hope in Christ.

January 24, 2013 at 8:53 am

Thank you very much, Jessthemes for taking the time to come over and share your feelings/impressions over this picture… you’re right about your questions on ‘is there any hope?‘… I do appreciate your deep concerns about this issue the author/painter is bringing up, and your take on the religious part of it… maybe, it’s a message the painter is trying to get out through his work… Thank you!

7. Chyina

January 24, 2013 at 5:17 am

Wow, this is amazing. The first thing I thought of was ‘needless’. There is so much pain in the world. The earth can provide for us (all of us) whatever we need, food, shelter, cures from illness. But in the end many of these things are brushed aside or miss used. Too sad.

Ps. Thanks so much for the pingback.

January 24, 2013 at 8:55 am

Thanks for commenting, Chyina. And I’m glad to share your work, as well!

• Chyina

January 28, 2013 at 5:09 am

You’re welcome. :)

8. advocacine

January 23, 2013 at 11:16 pm

AGONY powerfully expressed!!! Thanks for sharing.

January 24, 2013 at 8:59 am

Agony… Haven’t thought about that until now, but you’re right… even though the image is sort of peaceful, I can try to imagine the agony behind the process. Thank you for commenting!

9. Roopaushree

January 23, 2013 at 11:48 am

Honestly,the image gave me goosebumps.I see there a torture and a deep sorrow in those helpless eyes. A very powerful image indeed.
    Thanks for visiting http://www.oakworld.wordpress.com

January 23, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Thanks for coming over and sharing your thoughts/feelings… no intention to harm, hurt nor cause discomfort… and I´m sure that´s not the painter´s original idea when we prepared this piece…but then, you ask yourself: ´what is he trying to portrait here?´ ´is all that pain an illusion, a metaphor?…´ Thank you very much for visiting, and sharing your site… Take care, Raquel.

10. Kim @ Tranquil Dreams

January 23, 2013 at 9:43 am

Wow! I’m seeing pain and sadness from the most unfortunate reflected through the eyes of a child. Its a really powerful image…Thanks for sharing this!

January 23, 2013 at 9:46 am

Thanks, Kim, for your feedback! Much appreciated! As I’d stated here to other readers/bloggers, Im still trying to understand the author’s idea/original thought when he came up with that [extremely powerful] painting! It’s a wake up call to our society, a call for help, through the eyes [and face] of a helpless child… beautiful, indeed, but nevertheless, deeply sad… Thank you for taking the time to stop by and share your opinion!

11. monika

January 22, 2013 at 11:28 pm

This picture carries a powerful message – that children are vulnerable. This picture is about sadness, malnutrition, poverty, etc. I’m deeply touched, thanks for sharing.

January 22, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Thanks for taking the time to check it out… I myself felt the power of that particular painting, and wanted to share… then, the other half [of me] thought it could be a bit too much, a bit too painful, too sad, and maybe strange/strong to other eyes… the author [painter] definitely had a view on [his] society, and what’s real and true for him… that’s why I chose it for the ‘beyond [the image]‘ challenge… Thanks for commenting – much appreciated! :o

• monika

January 22, 2013 at 11:43 pm

I totally get what you mean about the picture being too “strong” to the eyes. Frankly, when I come across articles with pictures like this, I don’t normally take a second look at the pictures but go straight to reading. Not in any way uninterested, but as you put it “it’s too sad, a bit too painful…”. I often get that “what if …” thingy

January 22, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Agree. And yet, I went searching the author’s [the painter] idea when he came up with that image. That’s the way he sees/perceives his surroundings… And, although sad, it’s real, and it was his way of calling attention to a major social issue. People needed to see [and understand and act on] beyond the image – because it’s ‘too easy to ignore’, it’s ‘less painful if we pretend these things are not there’… Thank you for taking time to come over and share your thoughts, Monika. Take care, R.

12. Cheryl

January 21, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Stunning photo and message … paralyzed by the child’s eyes and the mental torment the violence is causing.

January 21, 2013 at 9:40 pm

And yet, it brings out the question: “who’s the one responsible for such violence?” I tend to think it’s the artist’s way of using a metaphor to translate his feelings towards our society…. Thank yo very much for taking the time, Cheryl, to read through it, evaluate the image and comment – much appreciated. Take care, Raquel.

13. adinparadise

January 21, 2013 at 9:32 pm

That is a very shocking image, and as Gilly says, almost unbearable to look at for more than a few seconds, and yet it draws one in to ask the big question, “Why???”

January 21, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Exactly! I’m assuming you’re asking ‘why would somebody paint something like that?’ Am I right? Because I did think that… why such a cruel painting? Why bring out so much sadness from the viewers?
      And again, not my intention to shock anyone… it’s a piece of art, from a Bolivian painter, who tried to show the world the way he saw ‘reality’… what the real world meant to him… shocking, yes, but nevertheless, untrue… sad, for sure, but necessary to see, and think about it… rethink our acts, the way we’re living our lives, the way the value our children and their roles in our society… it’s the perfect way beauty and extreme sadness meet… I never thought I’d see a painting like that… from a not well-know artist [more info to come later}… Thanks for stopping, reading, and sharing your feelings…

14. Lis

January 21, 2013 at 9:14 pm

OMG That is so beautiful! I am speechless.

January 21, 2013 at 9:30 pm

It’s a very fine line between all the sadness feelings/reactions this picture brings out, and its true beauty… it does look like a photograph, until one pays attention to the hooks and lines holding it up… interesting, intriguing, powerful, like many have already said here… Thank you very much, Lis, for taking the time to stop by and share your impressions about this ‘beyond’ image – much appreciated!

• Lis

January 21, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Sad enough this is the truth dese days. In a artistic way this is so beautiful made. But also very meaningful and powerful.
        It was my pleasure to drop by :)

15. pix & kardz

January 20, 2013 at 2:49 am

a very touching, tragic image. i’m with Gilly, and cannot look at it for long. i think of the little ones in our extended family and think how blessed they are not to know such grief and sorrow that is so evident in this beautiful, sad face…..

January 21, 2013 at 9:57 pm

I know what you mean… it does make all of us stop for a moment to rethink our blessings, especially knowing that our [family's] little ones will be protected from such a reality like this one… they’ll be shielded from this [endless] pain, and never exposed to these sad feelings the little boy’s face is showing us… Thank you very much, Pix & Kardz for your comments… I do appreciate all your interest and motivation!

16. Jo Bryant

January 19, 2013 at 11:25 pm

what a powerful image…outstanding

January 21, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Thank you, Jo Bryant! Powerful, extremely sad, and with a unique beauty that I’m struggling to find words that would help me describe it…

17. barbaramelnikcarson

January 19, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Painful to see…

January 21, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Thank you for taking the time to check it out, my friend…. No intention to bring out pain nor sadness to others, but I thought the artist’s thought/impression needed to be shared with a larger group… he’s screaming for social equality, for the end of all these helpless situation, for a better childhood for all the children out there, not only for the Bolivian ones [the artist is a Bolivian painter]… Thanks for sharing your impressions about the image, despite bringing you this horrible feeling of sadness…

18. colonialist

January 19, 2013 at 9:28 am

That is certainly an intensely disturbing picture. It has numerous possible interpretations; all challenging in the extreme.

January 21, 2013 at 10:03 pm

I agree with you, Colonialist – no intention to disturb any readers over here, but as I stated earlier, I felt the artist had a very strong point, and despite the horror presented by the image, he is completely true to himself and to our society… it’s disturbing, it’s intriguing, it’s sad, powerful, and sadly, it’s real… this is the world we’re living in… something definitely needs to be done… Thanks for taking the time to stop by and share your comments…

January 19, 2013 at 7:05 am

I find this almost unbearable to look at, the artist is making a powerful, painful statement.

January 19, 2013 at 8:50 am

Thanks, Gilly. I felt similar things, and yet, could not stop looking at the painting [at the gallery]. I was trying to understand it… The sadness… the meaning… what was he [author, painter] trying to say/express… Sorry if the image brought you discomfort in any way… :(

20. Alastair

January 19, 2013 at 3:54 am

That is cool. Thank you for the ping back

January 19, 2013 at 8:50 am

You’re more than welcome! Thanks for taking the time to check it out!

21. Sunshine

January 19, 2013 at 12:33 am

it is a powerful image for sure…the flies, the hooks to hold what appears to be just a flimsy paper thin face…i say it makes you think beyond in a very sad way. :(

January 19, 2013 at 8:52 am

Thanks, Sunshine… I myself am still trying to figure out the painter’s reasons for such a sad, powerful, painful reflection… Thanks for taking the time to come over and share your thoughts… Much appreciated!

22. Imelda

January 19, 2013 at 12:24 am

Oh, the artwork and your photo are powerful indeed. One can’t look at it without jolting the senses and asking questions. :-)

January 19, 2013 at 8:53 am

…and I believe we’re all left without answers… the painting is so perfect that one can’t help but feel for the child – I’m a mother myself, of little ones, so, it really touched me… ‘are we forgetting our children?’…

• Imelda

January 20, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Yeah… pain and tragedy gets more intense when a child is involved and in the eyes of a mother. Each time I see a suffering child, I cannot help but see in them the faces of my own children.

January 21, 2013 at 9:02 pm

I know, Imelda… it’s a different image… something none of us is really ready to face, and yet, it does exist… the painter/artist probably wanted to portrait that, and give the society a ‘bit of a shake’, a wake up call… very strong… Thank you very much for taking the time to stop by and share your impressions… And my intention was not to shock or bring sadness to anyone, but instead, maybe have all or us stop for a moment and rethink…

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 5,026 other followers