11 Aug

It’s higher than any other tree in the world. Polylepis woodland is a distinctive, high-elevation Andean forest habitat that occurs above cloud level (3,500-5,000 m) as patches of woody vegetation surrounded by paramo (e.g., Festuca species) or puna (e.g., Ichu species) grass and shrub (e.g., Baccharis species) communities. These high-altitude woodlands tend to be relicts of a once-widespread habitat and comprise mainly evergreen trees of the genusPolylepis (Rosaceae) which are highly drought tolerant. The trunk and branches are laminated with brown-reddish bark that peels off in paper-like sheets as a protection against extremely low temperatures, and often have mosses and lichens growing on them.

The original/inspirational photo:

IMG_0408

For this week photo series, decided to go with different angles to better showcase the unique and intriguing texture displayed by the tree.

Enjoy as you please, and thanks for stopping by! ♥

Weekly Photo Challenge: One Shot, Two Ways | Browsing The Atlas

Weekly Photo Challenge: One Shot, Two Ways | WryGrass
WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge: One Shot, Two Ways | unexpectedincommonhours
Dinosaur Dimensions « Gleaning the Nuggets
Portrait for the Win? | Required Writing

Posted by on August 11, 2013 in BOLIVIA, photography, wildlife

Tags: , , , , , , ,

30 responses to “Photo Project ’52 Bolivian Sundays’ [week 32, ‘One Shot, Two Ways, the Kenua Tree’].

1. janaline smalman

August 16, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Great collection of photos for this challenge! Lovely capture of the texture of the bark

2. unexpectedincommonhours

August 12, 2013 at 1:44 am

Great photos! Thank you for the pingback.

3. rasklein

August 11, 2013 at 10:22 pm

What a fascinating tree. How long do they live? They remind me of the Bristlecone Pine in the Serrias that lives to over a 1,000 years.

Ron

August 11, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Ron – thanks for taking the time to stop by, check it out, and bring out some questions. I don’t believe they [the trees] live as long as the Bristlecone Pines, but, despite the ‘apparently short’ life cycle, they are the only ones who can handle the high altitudes of the Andes, and grow extremely tall… Thank you for pointing out some good info my way… now, you just got me curious to check out the Serrias!!! Take care, R.

4. Amy

August 11, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Great images! Enjoy reading the interesting facts. Thank you so much for the pingback 🙂

5. sweetness6645

August 11, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Those trees are awesome. Txs for the pingback.

6. Josette

August 11, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Fascinating! I wonder if people use it for something. I’ll just have to google that. 🙂 Thank you for posting these and also for the ping back. 🙂

If you don’t mind, could you tell me how you are able to pingback that many people? In my Zemata options in my dashboard, only a few blogs pop up. Do you manually add blogs to our list of blogs to check out?

Thanks for your support and inspiration!

August 11, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Hi Josette – really glad you liked it! About the pingback, I just manually add the bloggers, from the weekly challenge… if you look below the post, you’ll see a list of people included… let me know if it works for you – always glad to help1 😮

• Josette

August 11, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Ah, so you copy and past the title and then link it via the linking icon, right? Thanks so much for filling in this gap! I thought people new something I didn’t about Zemata. Now I feel like I’m in the in-crowd. lol… I must say that I think it’s truly commendable that you go through that work to link. Thanks! Any tips on how to make it easier?

August 11, 2013 at 12:56 pm

As a tip, try the trackbacks/pingbacks offered by WordPress, from the Weekly Challenge Page… that might help… 😮 Good Luck and keep on blogging! 😮

7. greatbigdragon

August 11, 2013 at 10:40 am

Great shots, I like the landscape close-up of the cut off portion.

August 11, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Thanks… my favorite tree from our front yard! 😮 Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

8. viveka

August 11, 2013 at 3:43 am

Thanks for visiting me – is entry I really like … and I love the different angles – and the close ups.
    Excellent entry. It’s like the tree was made of silk paper. Amazing.

August 11, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Thanks for your kind words – it’s always a pleasure to visit other blogs and check their interpretations/takes on the theme… I really love this tree and the texture of its trunk… it does feel like silk paper when you peel it! 😮

• viveka

August 11, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Really like – the look of the tree … never seen anything like it – it also looks like saved chocolate. *smile
        Great photos.
        Thanks for coming back to me.

9. Connie Hanks - ClickyChickCreates.com

August 11, 2013 at 12:56 am

Super interesting factoids! Lovely images! Thanks for the pingback!

August 11, 2013 at 12:59 am

Glad you enjoyed it – and it’s always a pleasure to share! 😮 Thanks for stopping by and sharing your impressions – much appreciated!