Photo Journal: Cultural trip to Copacabana, Bolivia.

28 Jan

from La Paz to Copacabana

Typical lady from Copacabana. Photo taken in front of the Basilica of the Virgin of Copacabana, Jan 2013.

Typical lady of Copacabana, selling bread in front of the church. Photo taken at the Basilica of the Virgin of Copacabana

This is the second post of a series on the city of Copacabana, the main Bolivian town on the shore of Lake Titicaca.

The previous post focused more on people and our perception of their lives, the image on the right should give a pretty good first impression of what we found during our visit [if curious, hop over to the post using this link!]

Our path towards a very restful weekend. Bags packed, kids packed, car tank full. Let’s begin! ♥

172 kilometers to drive, route including a Ferry!

Leaving La Paz was a breeze! Not the heavy traffic we expected throughout El Alto, and as a bonus, some very interesting buildings along the way – see below!

IMG_5573

Our kids simply loved their ‘new way of moving’ along the Lake!

Our ‘home away from home’, Hotel Rosario do Lago Titicaca, a welcome respite in this funky beach town …. heavenly views, spacious rooms very tastefully decorated, modern and spacious bath, comfortable and beautiful beds. Food is fantastic with beautiful views overlooking lake and lovely gardens… Here is what we spotted from our hotel, while enjoying a cup of coffee [me] or a chilled beer [husband] – the magnificent Lake Titicaca:

hotel rosario del lago       Screen shot 2013-01-28 at 2.28.06 PM

The city was completely ready for pilgrims and tourists coming from all sorts of places. People seeking blessings, people honoring promises, people of faith and tourists. The colorful city of Copacabana had a special place for each and every one of them!

The street markets were a sure hotspot for visitors! Clothing articles, leather-made products, typical food, ‘the famous tostadas’ were among the offers!

Hiking options were also available to all, and again, the reasons varied with the will: adventure, faith, curiosity, photography… you name it! The views from up top the Calvary Hill are definitely priceless, and made us forget the difficulties climbing up through the 14 Stations [of the Cross] with a bunch of little kids!

Once at the top of the Calvary Hill, we were introduced to the popular Alasitas! Miniatures representing a wish. It could be a house, a job, a diploma, a car…even money! [they actually had miniature copies of dollar bills!]

People would buy their ‘product of desire’ and have it blessed by a priest [at the Basilica of Our Lady of Copacabana] or by a native yakiri… Some people chose both options, why not? 😮

At the top of the Calvary Hill, it was time to enjoy the magnificent natural beauty around us: the Lake seemed endless, powerful, and yet, soothing. The deep blue colors from the waters mirrored the blue ceiling the sky was offering to all the ones brave enough to accomplish the walk up… ♥

After all this, were we tired? For a bit, we were, for sure. But we found enough energy to keep moving on, and exploring… an island! The Isla del Sol [Sun Island], a 2-hour boat ride away from Copacabana, with occasional stops at the ‘floating islands‘… But this will be part of an upcoming post… For now, just get back to the images, enjoy them, and if you wish, let us know what you think! 😮 Thanks for tagging along with our ‘traveling family of 5′!’

IMG_5663

[Spanish] Copacabana, región encantadora a orillas del Lago Titikaka, está situada a una altura de 3.841 m.s.n.m, y a una distancia de 155 km la ciudad de La Paz, que es la sede de Gobierno de Bolivia y la ciudad más importante del país.
El recorrido desde La Paz toma aproximadamente 3 horas y media por carretera asfaltada. Copacabana, casi es un paso obligatorio entre Cusco (Perú) y la ciudad de La Paz.

Willing to travel? Check out this suggestion on cheap tickets from Flighthub!

Tags: , , , , , ,

34 responses to “Photo Journal: Cultural trip to Copacabana, Bolivia.

1. adventuresofkimandmatt

March 11, 2013 at 10:14 am

Hey there I just explored your blog and you have me realise how far I still have to go in developing my blogging skills! Amazingly easy to read, great photography and awesome way of displaying your photos. Really well done! You lead me to your posts by commenting on our adventuresofkimandmatt blog on wordpress. Keep up the good work!

March 11, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Thank you for the very kind words of support! I promise to keep on posting! 😮

2. Amy

February 2, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful travel journal!

3. rafaellapitti

January 31, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Beautiful pictures, and great description of what Copacabana really is!! 🙂

January 31, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Thank you very much, Rafaella Pitti! I still need to make my way to your store… and stop by for a visit! 😮 Muchissimas gracias!

• rafaellapitti

January 31, 2013 at 3:37 pm

We will be waiting for you..and keep up with the beautiful posts about Bolivia!!

January 31, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Gracias! A mi me encantaria!
          I’ve seen one in San Miguel… is that the correct one? I’m super curious to go for a visit,and maybe… blog about the beautiful creations!!! 😮 Let me know when possible!
          Abrazos, Raquel.

• rafaellapitti

February 6, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Yes that”s the correct one!! Right now we are on a business trip, but you can pass whenever you want to see our products!

February 6, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Loved! Adorei! One of these days, for sure! Thank you! 😮

4. Our Adventure in Croatia

January 31, 2013 at 3:17 pm

looks and sounds amazing! wow! it’s on my bucket list and hope to get there one day… 🙂

January 31, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Great! 😮 Thank you for taking the time to check it… it’s definitely worth to visit Bolivia! Take care, Raquel

5. eoghan3191

January 30, 2013 at 3:38 pm

your photos are great and incredibly colourful. I think it’s a great job of capturing what Copacabana is actually like, it’s beauty. The photos are beautiful!

6. andyhpmartin

January 30, 2013 at 11:29 am

Your blog brings back a lot of memories from my trip to Copacabana and Lake Titicaca in 2007. Unfortunately we only had a day or so there as we were in a rush to get to La Paz. The best bit of the journey was watching our bus get towed across the river on one of those barges. Only in South America!

January 30, 2013 at 11:50 am

Wasn’t it awesome?! We even saw an ambulance!!! and, despite the hurry, they had to wait, load onto the ferry… and navigate the lake waters… amazing… glad you liked the post and it was able to bring you back to a nice place, from your past! Take care, Raquel.

7. thebrewolero

January 29, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Copacabana is beautiful, I hope you were able to eat at Las Velas on Isla del Sol!

January 29, 2013 at 3:49 pm

We ate at the restaurant at one of floating islands… since we were not spending the night at the Isla del Sol! Another time, for sure! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! 😮

8. argentumvulgaris

January 29, 2013 at 2:02 pm

OMG, what awesome photos! As I said on my blog, my experience of Copacabana was a juice, and travelled on. I am more familiar with the northern part of the lake from Puno. I worked through there as a tour guide around Puno and the surrounding area and Isla Taquile, which I visited many times, although I never got to Amantani. My experience of La Paz is also limited, it was a place to arrive one day, change tourists with another guide coming from the north, then head out to Uyuni the same afternoon, wending our way back to Rio de Janeiro. I lived in Santa Cruz, twice, and travelled on the tren de la muerte about 30 times. Bolivia is a fascinating place.

AV

January 29, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Thank you, thank you! Your words are so encouraging! I think now we need to get out more, and keep traveling! 😮 Never did the tren de la muerte… and likely, don’t think I will, because of our 3 little kids… But, what a life experience you’ve got! Kuddos to you! 😮

• argentumvulgaris

January 29, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I have been living and traveling in South America now for 21 years. I out grew the first world.

AV

January 29, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Simply funny… You’re also a ‘serial expat’… we’re too many out there! 😮

9. strollingsouthamerica

January 29, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Wow, even in the rainy season the lake looks lovely! I’m interested to see your pictures from Isla del Sol as I haven’t been there yet.

January 29, 2013 at 12:53 pm

We were so lucky with the weather… a bit of a shower, but nothing impeding the boat ride [~2 hours], plus the 3 hour hike at the island [with 5 kids!] The children loved the island and the ‘islas flotantes’, where we stopped for lunch! Pics to come soon! 😮

January 30, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Here is your link to the Isla del Sol…
      hope you like the images! 😮

10. lapoubelle1969

January 29, 2013 at 11:33 am

Your photos are beautiful, it has been a while since I’ve been to Copacabana and it is a happy reminder of a lovely town. The views from the top of the Calvary Hill are spectacular, really special,. It must have been fun to be there during Alisitas!

January 29, 2013 at 11:35 am

It sure was fun! 😮 Thank you very much for taking the time to stop by and check the blogpost out! Greetings from La Paz!

11. Island Traveler

January 29, 2013 at 7:13 am

A dream travel destination. Rich culture, beautiful surroundings, grand buildings, vibrant people. Thanks for sharing this amazing place. Exciting pictures!

January 29, 2013 at 9:19 am

I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed this series of pictures… it was not easy to decide between which ones I should use… that said, I just went with… a lot of them! 😮 It’s the largest gallery I’ve used on a post, but… why not, right? Thank you for taking the time to stop by and read thru the post – I do appreciate your interest and kind comments!

12. mariannegv

January 28, 2013 at 8:19 pm

You made me want to be there but in the meantime thanks for letting me travel to Copacabana by your colorful photos.

January 28, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Your comment does make me really happy, and satisfied! Thank you for your kind words! 😮

January 28, 2013 at 6:48 pm