Snapshots of Artistic Expressions in La Paz. Part I: Paintings.

05 Jan

Quenua Tree [oil on canvas]

My most recent creation, showcasing the love affair with a unique tree – the Andean Queñoa, from my front yard!

Like many others, I need color in my life. A few years back, I discovered a good way to cope with the intense life of the foreign service, moving every so often, and raising kids along the way – through artistic expressions. We’ve been at our new posting for a little over 2 months, and I’m getting back together with my passion: painting. I’ve been learning, touring galleries, listening to stories…

Art galleries in La Paz have been springing up like cactus flowers after the rains. Many are within an easy walk from one another. Is there a better way for getting to know the beauties (and resources) this colorful city offers? Now, that La Paz is our home, and I’m comfortable enough to walk around the city, I’ve begun a series of posts about art in La Paz, this initial one is about ‘Painting’, bringing up a list of resources for other visitors/expats, like myself. Also, this month I’ll resume my painting classes – something I’d stopped while back in Brazil when  my baby girl was born (2010). Here in La Paz I already got one canvas out, but still feel the enormous need to improve my skills, and learn more techniques… Oh, the temporary advantages of being a ‘stay-home-mom’! Got some free time to explore, what about nicely educating yourself on the country’s history, art and endless man-made beauty? I’ve got, and I’m slowly educating myself... through art and history! 😮

[All images provided here were taken by me – with permission – at different art galleries throughout the neighborhood of San Miguel, La Paz].

Feeling very proud of my 'creations', right now...

Here, 3 of my “creations”…

Find below a list of gallery websites, and/or related resources:

Bolivian Painter Claudia Soria
Online gallery of paintings by Bolivian painter Claudia Soria.

Bolivian Painter Emma Rosario Imana de Murguia
Biography of the artist and some art work samples (Italian).

El Retorno de los Angeles
Amazing online exhibition of Bolivian baroque paintings (angels, archangels, virgins and saints).

Galería de Arte y Cultura de Bolivia
Art and culture gallery. Paintings, masks, enbroideries, books, and videos for sale.

Jorge Crespo Berdecio
Artist in metal work, serigraphy, xilography, and lithography.

Jorge Hurtado’s Fine Art Gallery
Works in fine arts, illustration, and graphic design. Nice site.

Mamani Mamani
Collection paintings catalogued by theme: mothers, flowers, archangels, birds among others.

Marcelo Videa – Surrealismo Apechurrado
Surrealist art. Paintings, drawings, sculptures, and ceramic.

Orlando Arias Morales
Creative ecstasy in the works of Bolivian painter Orlando Arias Morales. Portfolio.

Paula Lopez – Art Gallery
Resume, exhibitions and pictures.

Pedro Portugal
Bolivian artist. Paintings, sculptures, ceramics, and murals.

Sanjines Art
Website for Bolivian Artist and Photographer Marcelo Sanjines.

Taipinquiri
Culture, architecture, and arts center. Paintings, sculptures and books.

Posted by on January 5, 2013 in ART, BOLIVIA, expat, foreign service, TRAVEL

Tags: , , ,

24 responses to “Snapshots of Artistic Expressions in La Paz. Part I: Paintings.

1. frizztext

January 11, 2013 at 2:45 pm

thank you for this wonderful gallery of paintings / naive paintings / folk art? What’s YOUR term?

January 11, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Thanks, Frizz! They’re all from local/Bolivian/Native artists… and you may notice that most of them work with earth/warm colors/tones… They all belong to a popular art gallery in San Miguel, La Paz… I’d call them folk art…why not? 😮 Thanks for taking the time to check them out! I need to get out more and find new/unique things to share! Have a great weekend!

2. Pingback: bug spray
  3. losangelesart

October 26, 2012 at 3:13 am

So Nice Article.I like your blog.Thanks For Sharing It.The Images you share in your blog is so interactive and impressive.Thanks Again……..

4. marymtf

October 19, 2012 at 8:14 pm

If you can’t leave home, blog surfing is a fun way to travel. Like your creations and your post.

October 19, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Thank you so much! I’m glad that my blogposts are providing some sort of entertainment! Good to know – and I hope you’re always able to find an interesting ‘travel spot’ over here! Take care, R.

5. bodhisattvaintraining

October 19, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Some fabulous art in those local galleries you’ve visited and I love your creation as well 🙂

October 19, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Thank you, thank you! The moving and always getting to a new place have become a great inspiration source! 😮

6. Kami Tilby

October 19, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Hoping you get to really enjoy your time exploring, painting, learning! What a opportunity! I look forward to watching your blog for updates on what discover, create and learn! Thanks for reading and pinging me! (#33)

October 19, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Thank you, Kami! Very kind of you taking the time to come by and check the blogpost out! Much appreciated! 😮

7. nuvofelt

October 19, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Great post. Thanks for sharing, and for the pingback too.

8. Sunshine

October 19, 2012 at 11:40 am

I love how you use your time to create beautiful memories… Thanks for sharing & the ping back. 🙂

October 19, 2012 at 11:44 am

You’re more than welcome, Sunshine.. it’s also a ‘self-preservation’ strategy… life on the move is not always easy and glamourous, as many would agree… and it’s my very own way to keep myself sane, loving our family, and moving forward… Thanks for stopping by and for checking it out! Have a great weekend, R.

9. Pingback: Homepage
  10. Patti

October 17, 2012 at 1:20 am

Sounds like a fun way to become educated!

October 17, 2012 at 9:19 am

It definitely is! fun, colorful, happy… the perfect way! Thanks for stopping by and checking it out, Patti! 😮

11. thrufresheyes

October 15, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I absolutely LOVE the sun/moon/city scape painting in blue and yellow hues!! I used to paint when I was young. Marriage, family, and home education came along and I haven’t gotten back into it since then, yet I enjoy art museums enormously! Thanks for sharing!! =)

October 15, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Thanks for taking the time to come by! I totally understand (and relate to) you, when it comes to running out of time to dedicate to personal wishes/passions… family, kids, husband, life demands… glad to know there’re people out there still keeping up with their passion for art! 😮

12. strollingsouthamerica

October 15, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Not sure if you’ve alteady visited Ceramic Sarabia in San Miguel (Av.Montenegro #1140), but you can also visit the artist at his studio in Mallasa (Calle 4, #7). Mario showed me around the little shop and his studio where he teaches ceramic classes once in a while (they book up fast, I’m told). His daughter, a jewelry designer, also works there. I don’t think you need to make an appointment to visit, but you can contact him via ceramicsarabica.com

October 15, 2012 at 8:33 pm

No, I haven’t yet! Just forward the information to a couple of my friends, here! thank you so very much! What a great way to share experiences, tips, and much more! 😮 thanks for stopping by! will definitely check it out!