Found these very inspirational quotes the other day… What better time to ‘rethink life’ than the beginning of a New Year?!
I highlighted my ‘favorite’ quotes/suggestions from the author… Oh, how I wish I could simply act like that! Life is full of blessings, but, somehow, we tend to choose not to see those blessings… Life is simple – we, the society, end up making it so much more complicated, difficult and painful than it should really be!
Written by Regina Brett, of The Plain Dealer Newspaper, Cleveland, Ohio. The journalist is often misidentified with the ’90-year-old” lady she portraits throughout this text (she’s in her 60s!) – probably because many people see her ‘lessons’ as wise advice for when we all grow older… Anyway, the teachings/learnings are presented here…
Enjoy the reading! ♥
Enjoy the reading! ♥
“To celebrate growing older, I once wrote the 45 lessons life taught me. It is the most requested column I’ve ever written. So here is the column once more:
1. Life isn’t fair, but it’s still good.
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step..
3. Life is too short – enjoy it.
4. Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends andfamily will.
5. Pay off your credit cards every month.
6. You don’t have to win every argument. Stay true to yourself.
7. Cry with someone. It’s more healing than crying alone.
8. It’s OK to get angry with God. He can take it.
9. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck.
10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
11… Make peace with your past so it won’t screw up the present.
12. It’s OK to let your children see you cry.
13. Don’t compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn’t be in it…
15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye But don’t worry; God never blinks.
16… Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
17. Get rid of anything that isn’t useful. Clutter weighs you down in many ways.
18. Whatever doesn’t kill you really does make you stronger.
19. It’s never too late to be happy. But it’s all up to you and no one else.
20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don’t take no for an answer.
21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don’tsave it for a special occasion. Today is special.
22. Over prepare, then go with the flow.
23 Be eccentric now. Don’t wait for old age to wear purple.
24. The most important sex organ is the brain.
25. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.
26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words ‘In five years, willthis matter?’
27. Always choose life.
28. Forgive but don’t forget.
29. What other people think of you is none of your business.
30. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.
31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
32. Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does..
33. Believe in miracles.
34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn’t do.
35. Don’t audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
36. Growing old beats the alternative — dying young.
37. Your children get only one childhood.
38. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else’s, we’dgrab ours back.
41. Envy is a waste of time. Accept what you already have not what you need.
42. The best is yet to come…
43. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
45. Life isn’t tied with a bow, but it’s still a gift.”
- Life Lessons at 90 years old (motivationalmagic.wordpress.com)
12 thoughts on “An inspiring list, for any New Year’s Resolution… I really wish I could stick to these suggestions!”
The photo is great =) Love the look of the lady and the colours! Thanks also for following my blog. That’s very encouraging.
It’s my pleasure to visit your blog! Thanks for checking this blogpost out! Have a great week! 😮
Thank you so much! Wishing you an inspiring week as well.
(From a random blog lurker) FYI Regina Brett isn’t 90, but she did write that list. I looked it up, because I’m pretty sure the picture is of Iris Apfel (i took my mom to see an Iris Apfel exhibition years ago in NYC). I don’t know how right i am, but just thought I’d share!
Thanks Kathryn, for your research! 😮 I went back and found more info about the journalist’s life… quite a list, we all have to say! Since I just ‘reblogged’ the text/image from a Facebook post, I guess the original journalist was illustrating her piece with that artist’s photo… good to know, though! Will add the name of Iris Apfel to the photo! Much appreciated! Have a great year!
Today IS special!
Totally agree! Every single day should be special! 😮 Why wait for a future that we don’t know? Instead, we should live the present, the best way we can! Thanks for stopping by, Gilly!
I lover her! Love the photo too – what a fantastic outfit. I hope I turn out to be that interesting at 90!
Can you imagine? Getting to or 90s so grounded, so current… so creative and yet, realistic? Love her outfit, as well, very Southwestern… 😮
Raquel feliz año! Pls call me lost all my contacts….maria renee
Gracias, Maria Reneé! Will call… Feliz Año Nuevo!