28 Oct

The  “packed out”  couple.
“UNACCOMPANIED AIR BAGGAGE” & “HOUSEHOLD EFFECTS”

Memories from last June…

A year’s gone by since I prepared the original blogpost about packing and moving, focusing on the FS events… More than four months have past since we packed out from our last post assignment, Recife, Brazil.

This year, I even celebrated my birthday surrounded by bubble wrap & moving boxesJune was our pack out season – but husband and kids found a way to bring joy to my special day, despite the craziness we’re all familiar with, when it comes to have your house taken down by movers, packers, filling endless forms and making sure you don’t lose track of your life during the process! 😮

[UAB to HHE] “why are you taking so long to come home?”  [HHE]Sorry, dear… you know how it is at the port… you meet a couple of cool young boxes… begin chatting, talking about the midlife shipping crisis… and you lose track of time!”

So, now it’s the end of October, and since we STILL DO NOT HAVE (not yet! I’m always hopeful!) our household effects, I thought about turning the frustration into something, at least, fun, for this year’s Halloween at our local Marine Detachment House. Husband and I went as ‘pack out couple’... Well, a bit of crafting skills, an open mind and a good sense of humorwere the perfect recipe for this year’s costume!

Did you have any last-minute, crazy idea for your adult costume? I’d love to know!

Posted by on October 28, 2012 in FAMILY, humor, TRAVEL

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

10 responses to “If “moving is the third most stressful life event”, let me turn it into a fun inspiration for Halloween!

1. Kimberly Beaman

November 13, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I will enjoy reading your blogs!!! And thanks for the “like”!
    How fascinating with all of your travels =)

November 13, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Thank you very much, Kimberly! I’m glad you enjoy reading it… You’re more than welcome, regarding the “like”… just ‘sharing the love’… 😮

2. Ana Gaby

October 30, 2012 at 11:25 am

Hahah, this is too funny! I love it! We got our stuff surprisingly quickly this last time. But then again it was very close by. I hope you get your stuff soon!!!

October 30, 2012 at 11:26 am

That’s our hope, Ana Gaby! Thanks for your ‘words of support’… we need all ‘push’ we can get! Greetings from La Paz! 😮

3. colonialist

October 29, 2012 at 4:36 pm

*snf* What a moving Halloween post!
    This is one bit of fun kids and adults alike miss here. We don’t do Halloween. Maybe one of the reasons is that many or most indigenous Africans take spooks and spirits a bit too seriously.

October 29, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Hey, thanks for stopping by! When we were in Mozambique, there wasn’t a real celebration of Halloween… we tried to get a few expats together and do it… the American School hosted a kids parade, but no more than that… it was still okay…. Now, I’m recovering and living it vicariously through my children… They love it and I love watching them! 😮

• colonialist

October 29, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Ours do miss out. After a visit to UK a couple of yers ago we returned with witch outfits and webs and stuff, and tried to get the local kids to buy into the idea. It didn’t work, and I didn’t think of trying to dig them out this year.

October 29, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I’m glad that here in Bolivia, the whole idea of partying during Halloween has grown, in a very healthy and peaceful way… We’re enjoying (and so are all the kids!) 😮

4. Nomads By Nature

October 29, 2012 at 12:30 am

Packout Couple is great! We also don’t have our HHE yet. We arrived in mid August at post but it is looking like we still have a few more weeks to wait. Didn’t bother with a Halloween outfit this year; we might steal yours for next time!

October 29, 2012 at 1:11 am

Please, steal it away! We actually used one of our Amazon boxes (smaller one, for me) and a moving box from another couple who had gotten their shipment… All in all, it was fun… and cheap!!! 😮 Glad you liked the idea!