Listening to the little voices in my head: ‘there’s no place like home…’

10 Jul

I’ve been quite introspective, recently. No special reason, and no ugly results from that. Simply spending a lot of time with my own self, and paying more attention to those ‘little voices’, insisting to be part of my daily thoughts… 😮

Or maybe, it’s because we’re approaching the mid-point of our work assignment in Bolivia, and begin thinking about what’s ahead of us, the near future, the prospective work. Or maybe, because we’re a bit concerned about what’s out there – we’re trying to ‘redefine’ ourselves, as a moving/nomad family, as we always do when this time of the year comes around…

In any event, there’s a line that’s been part of my thoughts – the idea of “home”… The definition of home is quite difficult, and I often see myself as this little girl, with her innocent thoughts [and yet, gorgeous shoes! Which woman has never dreamed of wearing those shoes?!] 😮

“There’s no place like home… there’s no place like home…”

Whatever ‘home‘ is; wherever it is… I’m always trying to get back there… Not today, though, but for sure, a friendly yellow brick road will guide me home one day… I’ll simply close my eyes, clicking my heels together, and repeat three times: “there’s no place like home…” ♥

Check out other bloggers, inspired by their own ‘earworms’.

Also Related:

If you could live a nomadic life, would you? Where would you go? How would you decide? What would life be like without a “home base”?”

Thanks for the inspiration! ♥

Posted by on July 10, 2013 in foreign service, TRAVEL

Tags: , , , ,

22 responses to “Listening to the little voices in my head: ‘there’s no place like home…’

1. Elizabeth Melton Parsons

July 21, 2013 at 7:35 am

They say home is where the heart is and that’s true. Wherever one happens to be living at the moment can have the warm secure feeling of ‘home’. I’ve lived both ways and I definitely prefer a true home base. But I have only felt this way for a few years now. I used to get itchy feet every couple of years and want to move on. I really enjoyed your post. It brought the memories of all the different places I’ve called home to mind and made me think about the reasons why I now want to stay put. Nicely written piece. 🙂

July 21, 2013 at 11:55 am

Thank you very much, Elizabeth! And thanks for taking the time to stop by and share your thoughts – much appreciated! 😮

2. quirksmag

July 21, 2013 at 12:06 am

Thanks for the pingback! I hope you have a few good friends, perhaps a tin man, a scarecrow and a lion, to help you on your journey to find your yellow brick lane.

July 21, 2013 at 11:56 am

Ohh… you’re so sweet!!! Friends have always been there… I married tin man, btw! 😮

3. lagottocattleya

July 10, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Great post…What somebody once told you seem to me true. I’d just like to remove the word “simply”.

4. littlemisswordy

July 10, 2013 at 3:36 pm

We’ve moved a lot as well, and while we really enjoy meeting new people and having new experiences it’s sometimes hard living in limbo. For us, it’s gotten to the point where we no longer know where to call home. Love that quote from your friend. I can totally relate!

July 10, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Glad you liked the post, and could relate to it, somehow, Littlemisswordy! Moving every so often is hard, yet, not impossible to deal with the challenges and the constant adjustments… I also don’t know what is ‘home’… even though, I believe we’re all trying to discover the ‘yellow brick road’ that [one day!] will lead us there! Thank you for taking the time to stop by and share your thoughts – much appreciated!

July 10, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I’m sure that one day you’ll just know.

July 10, 2013 at 3:04 pm

That’s the hope, Gilly…
      That ‘one day’ when one knows exactly where to go… and when to answer that ‘one special call from home’… 😮 Thank you!

6. josephrathjen

July 10, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Nice reflection, and extremely well written!

7. Terry

July 10, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I always believe there is no place like home, whether you are five miles a way for the day or across the world

July 10, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Agree, Terry. Home is also a state of mind.. it’s where you feel safe, complete… I’m in a constant search for home… 😮

8. Playamart - Zeebra Designs

July 10, 2013 at 1:12 pm

so true.. i have moved a lot, and i always have a separation anxiety for the flowers in my yard.. it seems then they’ve just hit maturity, i move on!

ah, but the people we meet and the experiences that are waiting for us.. we follow our destiny!

July 10, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Couldn’t agree more! Once somebody told me that ‘living is simply a collection of ‘hellos’ and ‘goodbyes’
      At that time, I thought it was quite a cold statement, but the more I live, the more i move, and the more I have to bring people in/let people depart from my life… the more I understand the quote! 😮 Thanks for taking the time to stop by and comment!