{Weekly Writing Challenge} I wish I were…

30 Oct

I wish I were

nowhere else, but here. My home is where my traveling heart is.

I’m a woman, a wife, a mother, with a restless spirit and an endless thirst for life, for knowledge, for passion. I need passion in my days, and passion has always been given to me.

Gradually, and consistently…

I wish I were no wiser than I’m now, nor I wish I were more innocent than my current acts may appear.

Wisdom and innocence are two parallel states of mind. I’m grateful for the ongoing ability to recognize the difference.

I wish I were no younger than I’m today,                                                                                                     it wouldn’t be fair with my younger self – she ought to have experienced and learned from her own mistakes. Why try to be older, when your mind and soul seek learning through life?

I wish I were no older than my true wrinkles tell the world. Aging is a critical part of this wonderful process called ‘life’. And life is good.

Right now, I wish I were no more than what I represent to my family, to my loved ones, to the world. I’m comfortable in my own skin and not scared by my own thoughts. The ‘little voices in my head’ keep me going…

I wish I were

nothing else, but what I’m right now.

I’m grateful for my present, and I look forward to living the future. Savoring a day at a time. No more, no less…

**************

♥ Thanks for the inspiration! 😮

{Backstory} Last week, WordPress grammar guru, Daryl, talked about the oft-mysterious subjunctive mood in If Hairs Be Wires, Black Wires Grow on Her Head. Use of the subjunctive mood isn’t as common in English as it is in other languages. As Daryl mentioned in his post, the most common uses of the subjunctive mood in English are conditions, suppositions, wishes, demands, suggestions, and statements of necessity. At least once in our lives, we’ve all muttered, “I just wish I were…” or “If I were more like…”, knowingly or unknowingly invoking the subjunctive mood. In honor of Daryl’s post, we were asked to finish the following sentence for this week’s writing challenge: I wish I were.”

Let’s see how I did it! If you liked it (or not!), share your opinion here… Is writing something for everyone, and the one thing we need is inspiration? Thanks for reading!

Other “wishes”:

Posted by on October 30, 2012 in ART, foreign service

Tags: , , , ,

42 responses to “{Weekly Writing Challenge} I wish I were…

1. bluebrightly

November 4, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Wonderfully sane! I wish I were…able to achieve that state of mind more often!

2. eof737

November 4, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Very nice… 😉

November 4, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Thank you… we all needed a bit of inspiration to get through these recent ‘gray days’… we’ve got family back home (East Coast), and every bit of ‘good news’ deserves a celebration… on the other hand, the daily updates letting all of us know about the rising number of casualties… home losses… distressed families… you’re happy for your own self, and yet, heartfelt by learning about others… Thanks for taking the time to stop by and check this week’s writing inspiration… ‘I wish we were all safe…”:o

• eof737

November 6, 2012 at 12:18 am

Glad to hear your folk are fine… I agree with you; still so many out there struggling to recover. TY again!

3. Jonesingafter40

November 1, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Thank you so much for the pingback. I really identified with what you wrote in your post about accepting who you are, where you are right this minute, and being satisfied with it. Good job.

November 1, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Thank you very much for your nice words… It’s always a pleasure to link to somebody else’s good work/blog!
      Take care, R. 😮

4. island traveler

October 31, 2012 at 9:09 am

My home is where my travelling heart is. I share the same thoughts my friend. Thanks for today’s inspiration.

October 31, 2012 at 9:37 am

You’re more than welcome! One day, I realized: “why fight, why get angry with life? just because we’re always moving, always changing, always having to ‘re-invent ourselves’, adapt, adjust?” and instead of fighting, I’m embracing… every new challenge, as an adventure, an opportunity to learn, to grow… It’s been working, so far! When people now ask me, ‘where is home?’, my home is with my family, the ones I love, and who love me… unconditionally… My heart is wherever they are… and my ‘home’ is set wherever my heart is happy! 😮 Thanks for taking the time to read and comment! Much appreciated!

5. travelgardeneat

October 31, 2012 at 12:44 am

This is such a lovely response to the challenge! It is good to be content with where we are — and to embrace aging with gratitude for still being here to enjoy it, while not spending excessive time having regrets for days’ past! ~ Kat

October 31, 2012 at 12:46 am

Thank you, Kat! That’s exactly what I tried to ‘translate/express’ with the text/poem… I guess, it did happen! 😮 Thanks for your words of support and encouragement! 😮

6. Jeffles

October 30, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Hey, thanks for the pingback. And awesome answer to the challenge! Looking forward to reading some of your other posts. 🙂

October 31, 2012 at 12:26 am

Thank you very much for taking the time to read it and comment! 😮

7. The Hapless Neo-Romantic

October 30, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Thanks for the link – both for the extra publicity it’s brought, and for the way it brought your own inspiring post to my attention – it’s really nice to hear such pleasant thoughts and satisfaction.

October 30, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Ohhh… You’re welcome… thanks for your kind words… Glad you got ‘extra publicity’… as well as, more inspiration! 😮 It makes me extra happy! 😮

8. kkline922

October 30, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I loved your take on the challenge. Positive and uplifting, which is what I desire to center in my life. Thanks for stopping by my blog and deciding to follow. I appreciate it!

October 30, 2012 at 7:00 pm

You’re more than welcome! We should all try to keep up with the good attitude towards life… it’s easier… and healthier! 😮

9. deWriterMD

October 30, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Reblogged this on MetaRead360 Small Press presents and commented:
    Note: There’s a theme running through my head…nothing as everything and that’s okay!

October 30, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Thank you for stopping by, liking it and reblogging! Much appreciated! 😮

10. raw milk marathon

October 30, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I appreciate your perspective, it’s important to be reminded of the vast blessings just under our noses! I love that you found a way to make “I wish I were” about the goodness of present time. Here’s to all the wisdom, love, and life we already have!

October 30, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Completely agree! Thanks for taking the time to check it out and share your opinion… Cheers to thankfulness! 😮

11. LubbyGirl

October 30, 2012 at 10:43 am

Yuppers…that’s my take on the whole wishful thinking thing – be what you is, not what you is not. folks what do this is the happiest lot (my late husband loved Tutor and Mr. Wizard – I just liked this one saying from that show). And I totally am with you on the being more grateful than wishful!!!

October 30, 2012 at 10:46 am

Glad you enjoyed it, LubbyGirl! It’s definitely okay to be wishful, I still wish upon the first stars (and so do my children!), but the best part is that, we have way more to be/feel grateful and to be wishful for… Wishing us all a great deal of happiness! Thanks for stopping by, for reading, and for your words of support – much appreciated! 😮

12. JackieP

October 29, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I enjoyed it. I think one can be content with oneself, yet still strive for better. Just my opinion. thanks for the linking.

October 29, 2012 at 10:47 pm

I agree with a bit of ambition… Otherwise, what would be the reason to keep moving forward and trying? That’s why the need for listening to the little voices in our heads… 😮 thanks for checking it out, and sharing your opinion, Jackie…

13. marymtf

October 29, 2012 at 9:48 pm

That’s such a positive attitude to have.Maybe some of it will rub off on me. Good stuff. 🙂

October 29, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Thank you! Very kind of you… 😮 Thanks for stopping by and sharing your impressions!

14. annabachinsky

October 29, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Beautiful! It’s so great to wish for nothing more than to be where you are right now and who you are at this very moment because most people are always wishing for something else or for something more rather than being content with where they are at the moment. I definitely needed this reminder today. Thanks!

October 29, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Thank you very much for your support and kind words, Annabachinsky… I believe we all need to be reminded to be more grateful than wishful… we tend to forget the true meaning of life, trading it for temporary satisfaction events… One time somebody told me that ‘life is what happens when you’re too busy doing other things…’ and I never forgot it. So simple, such an easy recipe for happiness. Could you imagine if we all wished to be happier with what we’ve got, what we’ve accomplished in this life? Ambition is good, and the desire to move forward is much needed, but, as somebody already stated here [in the comments], contentment is part of the path for happiness. Keeping it simple. Easy. Thanks very much for taking the time to read this blogpost and share your impressions… That’s exactly my original goal with this ‘random thoughts prose’! 😮

15. vintagefrenchchic

October 29, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Contentment is definitely a key to happiness.

October 29, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Couldn’t agree more! I’m pretty content with my present… Thanks to the ones who are part of my present, and hopefully, will also be part of my future… Thank you for stopping by and checking it out. Much appreciated! 😮

16. brazilmaravilha

October 29, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Beautiful.

17. Expat Alien

October 29, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Nice post. Thanks for the mention!

18. alpheba

October 29, 2012 at 3:56 pm

What a great post, and beautifully written. It’s a state of mind I hope to be in, in the future, no matter how far.

October 29, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Thank you so much for your kind words… This is exactly what “I wish I were…” We all need to seek happiness… and peace of mind… Thanks for taking the time to read it and share your thoughts – much appreciated! 😮

• alpheba

October 29, 2012 at 4:03 pm

How could I forget?! Thank you for linking!

October 29, 2012 at 5:30 pm

It’s true… I guess, at the end, we all wish we were the same… maybe, a bit happier, right? Nothing wrong with being a bit ‘selfish’ when it comes to a good dose of happiness… especially if it’s shared with others! 😮