It’s August, and surprisingly enough, we’re keeping ourselves warm while enjoying our new settings. This is what we see, throughout the neighborhood of Achumani in La Paz. The prominent peak that that dominates the skyline over the city of La Paz is the beautiful snow capped Mount Illimani. It lies just south of La Paz at the eastern edge of the Altiplano.
Mount Illimani has an elevation of 6,438 meters (21,122 ft), making it the highest mountain in the Cordillera Real mountain range (name of mountain chains in the Andes Mountains) of western Bolivia. It is the second highest peak in Bolivia, after Nevado Sajama and the eighteenth highest peak in South America. The mountain has five main peaks. The highest is the south summit known as Pico Sur. On the west side is Nevado Illimani, where the normal climbing route is located, which is a popular ascent for mountain climbers. At this time of the year, it’s possible to see the mountains covered in fog and thin snow, result from the cold night, and the perfect excuse for lighting up the fireplace… in the middle of August! 😮
- Snapshots of Mountains and Trees around Nuestra Señora de La Paz, Bolívia. (3rdculturechildren.com)
- The Incredible Mountain City of La Paz, Bolivia (amusingplanet.com)
- Mountains of the condor (jennybennett.net)
- On top of the world – You can’t kill me – La Paz, Bolivia (travelpod.com)
- Climbing Huyana Potosi – Huyana, Bolivia (travelpod.com)