Photo Project: 52 Bolivian Sundays [week 4, 'Love'].

26 Jan

IMG_5663

Religion, devotion, faith, Love – many names for the several different ways of approaching what’s believed to be a stronger, powerful protective force… People seeking blessings, seeking help, seeking guidance…

IMG_5658

DSC_7789

Cerro Calvario (Calvary Hill) is a hill in Copacabana lined with small monuments representing the 14 Stations of the Cross. Pilgrims visit the Stations for prayer and penance. Thousands of pilgrims journey to Copacabana – some on foot for the entire 158km distance from La Paz, and it’s the chosen inspiration for the fourth week of this 52-week Photo Project, and the last Sunday of January 2013.

DSC_7768

At the summit of Cerro Calvario, pilgrims light incense and buy mini replicas of various material possessions that they hope the Virgin will grant them during the year.

The Virgen de la Candelaria in Copacabana is a statue of the Virgin Mary sculpted by an Inca craftsman in 1576. Believed to work miracles, the statue of the “Dark Virgin of the Lake” is the most important pilgrimage destination in Bolivia.

According to a local legend, in 1576, some Inca fishermen were caught in a terrible storm on Lake Titicaca. As they prayed for help, the Virgin Mary appeared and led them to safety.

A traditional expression of love, for something bigger than oneself…

IMG_5669

For this week’s photo challenge, we’re all trying to answer the question:  ‘What is love?’ Some amazing bloggers have already done it! What about you? ♥

About these ads

Posted by on January 26, 2013 in BOLIVIA, photography, TRAVEL

Tags: , , , , , ,

74 responses to “Photo Project: 52 Bolivian Sundays [week 4, 'Love'].

1. dearrosie

February 1, 2013 at 12:51 am

Hi What a great post.
    I’m confused, where is Copacabana? Is it in Brazil? And La Paz is in Bolivia?

Fascinating to learn about this pilgrimage. I know a little about the ancient Spanish pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela because I walked it last summer, but its become too popular and too busy. This one appeals to me. Did you walk it?

February 1, 2013 at 2:56 am

Well, there are two places named Copacabana. The one in Brazil, belongs to the city of Rio de Janeiro, and was named in honor of the one in Bolivia (Our Lady of Copacabana is a saint figure, honored and worshiped by fishermen in Bolivia). And La Paz is the exciting capital of Bolivia, our current home! :o One day I’ll do the walk in Santiago de Compostela.. one day!

• dearrosie

February 1, 2013 at 3:30 am

Well thanks to you I learned something new today about Bolivia and the town Copacabana. Thank you.

2. The Guat

January 31, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I gotta say I really loved the Cerro Calvario shot. That’s a very cool way of doing the Stations of the Cross. But I gotta say that my favorite is the last picture. I know you don’t see her face, but it definitely evokes a sense of faith. Nice job. I love her wrap too, reminds me of the bright colors of Guatemala.

January 31, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Thank you very much for such a detailed comment… the lady praying, is definitely a great shot… love her Aguayo [wrap], as you said… :o

3. gallivance.net

January 31, 2013 at 11:38 am

Wow! gorgeous photos! Now I have to put Bolivia on my bucket list … and move it to the top. All the best, Terri

January 31, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Thank you so much, Terri! Great words of encouragement! Hopefully, you’ll make your way out here… it’s a beautiful place! Take care, R.

4. PragueByKaty

January 31, 2013 at 9:20 am

Very nice story and shots as well :-).

January 31, 2013 at 9:21 am

Thank you very much, Katy, for taking the time to come over and check this blogpost out – much appreciated! :o

5. Joycelyn

January 30, 2013 at 9:22 am

Oh wow! You have inspired me with this post! I loved everything, from the way you describe it and the way you showcased the photos! Great job! Love is not just about having someone special, it is about looking at things in a different light with respect and happiness :)

January 30, 2013 at 9:27 am

Thank you very much, Joycelyn! Glad I could inspire someone… :o if you come up with a new post on ‘love’, just let me know, and I’ll be happy to go check it out! Take care & have a great day!

6. Ingrid D.

January 29, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Beautiful! Such vibrant colors and I love the story!

January 29, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Thank you very much, Ingrid D., for taking the time to stop by and read thru the post! Much appreciated! :o

7. Island Traveler

January 29, 2013 at 7:16 am

Pictures that takes your breathe away. Beautiful!

January 29, 2013 at 9:18 am

Thank you so very much, Island Traveler! Also, thank you for the ‘shout out’ thru Twitter… always nice! :o

8. Imelda

January 28, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Gorgeous photos and wonderful interpretation of the theme. :-)

January 28, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I’m really glad with the positive feedback! Thanks, Imelda! :o

9. Queen of hearts&design

January 28, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Wow! amazing colours – love it! Great to see such a different take from mine!

January 28, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Good to know you enjoyed them! :o Thanks for taking the time to come over and check the blogpost out – much appreciated!

10. Jo Bryant

January 28, 2013 at 4:58 pm

you provide such a wonderful insight in to this culture…great images and loved the reading to go with it

January 28, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Thank you very much, Jo Bryant! My next move will be towards putting together some sort of ‘photo journal’ about our visit to Copacabana, the hiking, the mysticism [Calvary Hill], open markets… a big task, for sure… let’s see how it comes out! :p Thank you very much for your usual interest, great & positive comments, and for always offering kind words of support! They definitely keep me going much appreciated!

11. Yen-Yen's_Passions :)

January 27, 2013 at 9:12 am

This is agreat interpretation’s about Love.:)
    Thank you very much for posting my link on your page appreciated a lot.:)

Have a lovely weekend,
    Yen-Yen

12. Zen

January 27, 2013 at 3:31 am

Wow, I would love to see this in personal.. :)

13. scsurfbutler

January 27, 2013 at 12:24 am

Nice selection of love. A higher power indeed. Thanks for the pingback!

January 27, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Glad you enjoyed them! A higher power, indeed… And regarding your blogpost, it’s my pleasure to share! :o

14. patriciamoed

January 26, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Beautiful!

15. dadirri7

January 26, 2013 at 5:24 pm

your interpretation of love is very beautiful and inspiring … i love to see the colourful clothing and devotion of the pilgrims … and thanks for the pingback :-)

January 26, 2013 at 8:05 pm

I’m glad to share your post- always a pleasure! and thanks for your very sweet words & comment about this post… it’s definitely a very interesting challenge for this week! Have a great weekend! :o

16. elspethc

January 26, 2013 at 4:49 pm

So much to see and share. I hope one day everyone is ‘third culture’. Today I chatted on the stair with my upstairs neighbour – Serbia, USA, China, UK all getting along and the kids have the languages, using whichever is needed.

January 26, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Why not, right? The world is became smaller… despite the distances… culture sees no boundaries! Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! Have a great weekend! :o

17. fgassette

January 26, 2013 at 3:19 pm

BEAUTIFUL PHOTOS! Love them. Thanks for the pingback.

BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!

January 26, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Thank you very much for your words of support! Have a great weekend! :o

18. mariadesuede

January 26, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I’d like to make a journey in South and Central America, and I speak Spanish… Better than English… Your images are beautiful…

January 26, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Thank you so very much! I’m glad the images are getting such a positive feedback! Will work on the other related posts for later this week! Greetings & wishes for a great weekend, R.

19. Stephanie

January 26, 2013 at 1:10 pm

These are stunning. The feeling really comes through with your perspective and colors. Thank you for sharing them with us.

January 26, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Thank you very much, Stephanie, for your kind words of support! Much appreciated! And it’s my pleasure to share… more unique images to come soon! :o

20. wisnuwidiarta

January 26, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Thank you for the ping back!

January 26, 2013 at 5:41 am

Such a rich culture, I’m really enjoying these posts, what an amazing place. I have an image in my head of little plastic televisions, cookers and perhaps the odd tractor!

January 26, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Thanks, Gilly! I’m sure I can find them over here [the tractor, the old TV and cookers] and snap a shot for you!! Will be on the lookout! :p

22. frizztext

January 26, 2013 at 5:12 am

the last picture: so colorful clothes!

January 26, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Thanks! :o I love them, as well… and the best part: they’re everywhere you look… such a great scenario!

23. Amba Nair

January 26, 2013 at 2:18 am

Hey thanks for the pingback, though I couldn’t find my post here! Lovely photographs :)

January 26, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Thanks, Ambar! The pingback comes from the little area below the post, when you’re editing it… it gives the original author the ‘linkback’, without cluttering the post… but trust me, and you know it’s true, because it gave you the ‘shout out’… your post is linked to mine… Glad and pleased to share! :o Take care & wishes for a great weekend!

• Amba Nair

January 26, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Got it! Thank you so much for explaining that to a noob like me :) I am always confused by pingbacks and trackbacks!LOL.
        Thanks again for taking the time to explain it to me and for sharing my post! :) Have a great day!

24. mrsbearfoot

January 26, 2013 at 1:49 am

Beautiful, informative post. Thanks for the pingback.

January 26, 2013 at 1:51 am

Thank you! Much appreciated – and, my pleasure to share! :o

25. Alex Khoo

January 26, 2013 at 12:59 am

Nice set of pictures here!

The Greene & The Miranda Families

a personal genealogy weblog

from laura, with love

life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.

theloneshewolf

I'm really not sure yet

jessicasanesm's Blog

Deja que el sol ilumine las palabras que no puedes encontrar!!

Catching Up With Daphne

Expect the Unexpected

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 4,808 other followers